Use with Amazon’s Kindle iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch app on Apple mobile devices, if you prefer Kindle over iBooks, which can display the ePub version.
Although you can view the .mobi file on these devices, we recommend downloading the .azk file* and adding it via iTunes for a better reading experience. For example, to add the book to your iPad, follow these steps:
- Download the book file to your PC or Mac. The computer must have iTunes installed.
- Connect your iPad to your computer using its USB cable. That is, unplug the cable from the charger and attach it to a USB port.
- In iTunes, select your device, then select Apps from the iTunes menu.
Scroll down to File Sharing and select the Kindle icon to open the Kindle Documents menu.
- Click Add and browse to the .azk file you downloaded. Select it and click the Add button. The .azk file will appear briefly in the Kindle Documents list. It will then vanish, but do not panic when it goes poof.**
- Open the Kindle app to see the book listed in your Kindle Library. You may disconnect your iPad from the USB cable before or after opening the Kindle app.
What can go wrong?
Do not add the book file to Kindle for iOS directly from Dropbox or from an email attachment because there will not be an app associated with the .azk file extension and you’ll be stuck! In order to get an option to open the file in Kindle, you must change the file extension from .azk to .mobi before attempting to open it in the Kindle app. Changing the file extension does not adversely affect the display; it’s what inside that counts.
* Why .azk? When we generate Kindle files using Kindlegen, it creates a .mobi file for most Kindle devices and apps, plus a separate .azk file for iOS. The .azk version will look better on iOS than the .mobi file. Until recently, Kindle for iOS created a reading experience more like old Mobi7 than KF8, but the app has improved greatly in the last couple of years, with more features like KF8.
** Apparently Amazon neglected or does not care to associate the .azk file extension with Kindle for iOS.